Sunday, March 8, 2009

New Book!

Ok, so maybe this isn't the unemotional book I planned on reading after Revolutionary Road. Mostly I just can't get over how these girls were treated. Of course nothing came to the boys who got them pregnant. Not to mention most of the personal stories relate what is essnetially date rape. Plus I am disgusted by the reactions of their parents. Understandably getting pregnant at 15 is not a good thing but why did it turn into a matter of shame for people of that era? Everything is based around feeling ashamed. It also strikes me as odd that everyone in a place to help these girls only lectured them why they shouldn't have sex...not about sexuality itself. I think what really bothers me is I am not so sure anything has changed, sex is just more normalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment